[lbo-talk] The Abominable Rule of Thumb

Dwayne Monroe idoru345 at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 11 11:17:47 PST 2003

I was going to call my post punk, neo nu metal, trans-rap group *Rule of Thumb* but given the phrase's apparently troubled history my bandmates and I will have to settle for our second choice: The Abominable Doctor Phibes. Or, considering possible copyright problems, maybe our third: *Language Tools of The Patriarchy*.

I did a little Google research and came up with the following:

from a list of questions, apparently for a test -

http://www.nvcc.edu/home/lriggleman/chapter_13_quiz.htm

The origin of the phrase, "the rule of thumb" is from:

a. carpenters, who used their thumbs to measure the thickness of lumber.

b. lumberjacks, who could not cut a branch unless it was twice as thick as a thumb.

c. the Puritans, who believed it advisable to whip children as long as the stick was no larger than a man's thumb.

d. the time in our history when men were legally permitted to beat their wives, as long as the stick was no thicker than a thumb.

=====

from a *Letter in defense of Christina Hoff Sommers sent to the Los Angeles Times* -

http://www.friesian.com/times.htm

Dear Sirs:

If Linda Hirshman is going to accuse Christina Hoff Sommers of distortions that can be corrected with "half an hour" of research, she should at least pay attention to what Dr. Sommers says and take some care that she understands what points Sommers is making.

Professor Hirshman actually confuses two entirely different issues. First, whether the phrase "rule of thumb" derives from old laws legalizing wife beating; and second, whether there were laws legalizing wife beating. Professor Hirshman cites Sommers claiming that the English jurist William Blackstone "found that the common law prohibited violence against wives." However, Hirshman's actual quote from Blackstone is to much the same effect as Sommers' own quote from Blackstone: That the "old" common law, as understood by Blackstone, allowed the corporal punishment ("the due government and correction") of wives by their husbands is not disputed by Sommers. The first question was whether Blackstone used the phrase "rule of thumb," and the answer to that was that he did not. Similarly, Sommers' point was that the phrase "rule of thumb" did not occur in the 19th century court cases that feminists have cited. Hirshman does not dispute any of this, because she seems to have missed the point of Sommers' argument.

[...]

=======

More lingusitic fun at -

http://tinyurl.com/uksi