[lbo-talk] Anybody But Bush?

Joseph Wanzala jwanzala at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 11 14:19:00 PST 2003

I think the more political movement the better - i.e. the more 'Democracy in Action' the better. I am still perplexed by anti-Nader antipathy among the 'Anyone but Bush' crowd. There are, at this point, at least hundreds of thousands of Greens who are simply not going to vote for a Democrat, anymore than they would vote for a Republican. Beyond that, just as there are millions of Democrats who voted Republican in the 2000 presidential election and in the 2003 Governors race in California, there are some Greens who, if mobilized to the polls by Nader - or McKinney for that matter, will vote Green locally and vote Democratic (and perhaps in some cases Republican) thereby beneffitig the 'Anyone but Bush' movement by marginally offsetting the Democrats inabilty to mobilize their own base. Thus, demouning a Nader/Green Presidential run, is really spiting oneslef politically because while a Nader run will not hurt the Democrats - it might actually help them. Underlying the Nader-bashing sentiment it seems to me is an odd tendency to view the Green Party as the disobedient stepchild of the Democratic Party instead of an autonomous political party in a mture Democracy.

Joe W.