[lbo-talk] Texas Instruments and Corporate Invasion of Classrooms

Douglas J. Buege djbuege at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 11 17:40:53 PST 2003

Hello, I'm looking for information on Texas Instruments' incursion into high school classrooms.

Questions I hope to have answered include:

What documentation is available from TI to explain their near monopoly on education calculators?

Where are the TI-83's components made? I understand that the devices are put together in Taiwan though rumor has surfaced that mainland China may be the next site for building the computers.

Follow up to that is How much does production actually cost? The calculators retail for $65 to $150 on US shelves. I want to know what the mark-up is on the little machines.

If you have leads on any of this information, please contact this list or me personally.

Douglas djbuege at yahoo.com

Dr. Douglas J. Buege djbuege at yahoo.com 15 Sherman Terrace #1 Madison WI 53704

Phone: (608) 441-9833