[lbo-talk] NY State Prisoner David Gilbert's New Book

Bob Feldman bob_jan at xensei.com
Tue Nov 11 19:17:50 PST 2003

If you saw the Weather Underground movie earlier in the year, which included an interview with NY State Prisoner David Gilbert, you might be interested in pre-ordering a copy of his new book, which contains some of his recent writings in political economy (and is described in the following press release).--bob

Coming soon from Abraham Guillen Press & Arm The Spirit ___________________________

NO SURRENDER selected writings of an anti-imperialist political prisoner

by David Gilbert

with forwords by political prisoners Marilyn Buck & Sundiata Acoli

___________________________

"The true revolutionary is guided by great feelings of love."

- Che Guevara

A founder of Columbia University Students For A Democratic Society (SDS), and a veteran of the Civil Rights and anti-Vietnam War movements, David Gilbert joined the Weather Underground Organisation in the late 60's. After more than 10 years of clandestine resistance, he was captured in the course of an armed action in 1981. Gilbert has been a revolutionary political prisoner, continuing his work as an AIDs activist, prison organizer, and author from behind the walls.

This first collection of David Gilbert's prison writings is a unique contribution to our understanding of the most ambitious and audacious attempts by white anti-imperialists to build an underground movement "within the belly of the beast." With unsparing honesty (and unfailing humor), he discusses the errors and successes of the WUO and their allies; the pitfalls of racism, sexism and ego in revolutionary organizations; and the possibilities and perils facing today's growing anti-imperialist resistance.

NO SURRENDER is both an analysis of the past and a vision of our collective future. And more. It is the intensely personal, harrowing true story of a captive revolutionary, struggling to maintain an active political life deep inside America's most violent, repressive prisons, where principle is his only weapon, and surrender is not an option. It's not an easy book; it's not an easy path. But it is one we all need to know, to honor, and to understand.

“U.S. political prisoner David Gilbert's new collected writings 'No Surrender' is a brilliant, thoughtful, and moving selection of work spanning the last 22 years of his imprisonment. David knows what he speaks of and his analysis, humanity and humor breach multiple walls. This book stands alone in the growing number of books about the 1960s, the anti-Vietnam war movement, and the Weather Underground Organization because of David's willingness to own it and analyze it. His discussion of the strength's and weaknesses of this history, the role of armed struggle, the rise of terrorism, the continued aggression of the U.S. government speak directly to the concerns of everyone working for justice anywhere. David's discussion of these topics is freerer, more alive, and more honest than any I have read. This book should stimulate learning from our political prisoners, but more importantly it challenges us to work to free them, and in doing so take the best of our history forward.”

- Susan Rosenberg, former U.S. political prisoner

"David Gilbert is a warrior in the most profound sense of the term. Imbued with a near-crystalline clarity of principle, the indomitable courage to live his life in accordance with the values he holds true, and, most importantly, his every action guided by the immensity of his love for the wretched of this earth, he is truly an inspiration. Predictably, given the strength of Gilbert's character, his writings are offered as tools -- nay, WEAPONS -- in the ongoing struggle for liberation. They are thus of incalculable value to each of us who aspires to the attainment of freedom, justice and dignity for ALL people."

- Ward Churchill, author

To pre-order your copy send $20 postpaid, cheques or money orders made out to "Abraham Guillen Press" and mail to:

Abraham Guillen Press C.P. 48164 Montreal, Quebec, H2V 4S8, Canada

Info: abrahamguillenpress at yahoo.com