[lbo-talk] Dirty Hands

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 12 07:38:36 PST 2003

Fact of the matter is that when we go in for lesser evil politics, as I, like Doug, am doing this year, you can't be too picky. These candidates do not represent our points of view of a global range of positions -- even Kuchinich, though he's the best. Still, partly for that reason he's not a serious contender. If we want to get rid of Bush, we need to swallow our gorge and support the most electable of the pro-capitalist candidates, including people who advocate what are to us horrible positions, whether out of principle or opportunism.

And if we ever get a genuinely progressive president, we will need a Lyndon Johnson or a Willie Stark, a wily, amoral, cynical, touch, nasty, two-faced, treacherous son of a bitch. Your nice fuzzy warm well intentioned upright decent liberal don't stand a chance. And we need to make devil's bargains on fundamental principles to get other things we want even more. Sorry . . . but that's what you have to do if you want to play for keeps rather than to keep your beautiful soul pure.

I like Dean best -- not because I think he is so wonderful, but because I think he can win.

jks

<http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=3D/news/archive/2003/11/11/n