[lbo-talk] Wankfests

Michael Pugliese debsian at pacbell.net
Wed Nov 12 12:33:17 PST 2003

On Wed, 12 Nov 2003 09:53:29 -0500, Chris Doss <itschris13 at hotmail.com> wrote:

> They're having the nec plus utra of one over Doug on marxmail. Talk about
> pointless.

2] See, for example, Raphael Samuel, "The Lost World of British Communism" (Part I), New Left Review, No. 154 (November/December 1985), pp. 3–53, where he sketches a marvelous portrait of "an organization under siege,...[maintaining] the simulacrum of a complete society, insulated from alien influences, belligerent towards outsiders, protective of those within"; "a visible church," as Samuel tells it, tracing "an unbroken line of descent from the founding fathers, claiming scriptural precedent for our policies, adopting patristic labels for our anathemas." http://www.nybooks.com/articles/16802 -- Michael Pugliese