[lbo-talk] Dirty Hands

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed Nov 12 13:43:00 PST 2003

andie nachgeborenen wrote:

>Fact of the matter is that when we go in for lesser
>evil politics, as I, like Doug, am doing this year,
>you can't be too picky.

No kidding. I have no illusions about what a Dem president would do. My expectations are low, and despite that I wouldn't be surprised to be disappointed. But that's not why I'm a member of the Almost Anybody But Bush (AABB) club. Of course there are ways in which a Dem president would be significantly better - Nathan's persuaded me about things like the NLRB, for example. Most of our revo-plotting Trotobots don't think about things like that. The rich wouldn't be quite so coddled, and the general discursive atmosphere would improve. But as I've said before, it's much better to have politics be fought over the guys in charge not doing enough than it is to fight to defend the social gains of the 20th century. And like I've also said before, it encourages radical opposition to have a "liberal" of some sort in control; problems are more easily perceived as systemic than partisan.

Plus the Bush gang is horrifying and repulsive and I want them humiliated.

Doug