[lbo-talk] Let Ralph Debate in 2004

Joseph Wanzala jwanzala at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 12 15:21:42 PST 2003

I'm not sure what point you are making, but it should be clear that the aid package was proposed by the Clinton Administration and blessed by Human Rights Watch, who also gave the Clinton administations' humanitarian efforts in the Balkans their imprimatur.

http://www.colombiasupport.net/200002/wp-hrwreport-0224.html

Colombian Army Tied To Abuses Rights Group Faults Links With Militias Washington Post Thursday, 24 February 2000 By Karen DeYoung

The Colombian army, which the Clinton administration proposes to supply with up to $ 1 billion in training, equipment and other assistance over the next two years, maintains close operational ties to Colombian right-wing paramilitary groups responsible for extensive human rights abuses and escalating involvement in drug trafficking, according to a report released yesterday.

.....Vivanco said Human Rights Watch is not calling for congressional rejection of the $ 1.6 billion, two-year Colombian aid package. Rather, the report urges that strict new conditions be placed on all U.S. security assistance to Colombia, including the civilian prosecution of all military personnel implicated in human rights abuses and restrictions on intelligence-sharing with Colombian army units. It also calls for additional funding and civilian staff to aid in monitoring and investigating alleged abuses.