[lbo-talk] Anybody But Bush?

John Adams jadams01 at sprynet.com
Wed Nov 12 17:46:19 PST 2003

On Wednesday, November 12, 2003, at 06:29 PM, Doug Henwood wrote:

> Shane Taylor wrote:
>
>> And there was the Green run against Wellstone, and the loss of ballot
>> access in varoius states. At this time, how many states does the
>> Green
>> party retain a position on the ballot?

I've long wondered how many Green elected officials ran without identifying as a Green.

I don't know about the rest of the country, but I know that neither of the "Green" elected officials from Fayetteville, Arkansas actually ran as Greens. The first one, Stephan Miller, ran during a weirdo far-right/far-left alliance against the middle which ended up with the middle-to-far right in power and himself as the only non-right member of the city council. I remember asking a local activist about Stephan's campaign and the Green Party, and she replied, "Well, the printing on his brochures was green." The second one, Randy Zurcher. was clearly running as a progressive, but never to my knowledge identified in the campaign as a Green, except when Green victories were tallied up nationally.

> I have to say that many of the Greens quoted in Micah Sifry's Nation
> piece <http://www.thenation.com/doc.mhtml?i=20031124&s=sifry> sound
> pretty thoughtful and mature. The opposite of those Greens who want to
> run Cynthia McKinney.

I've been on a short-term contract in Atlanta for a year and a half now and am staying in McKinney's district. Not once did anyone ever knock on our door--in fact, I saw no signs of a McKinney campaign at all, other than one yard sign. The extent to which she beat herself is, I think, underestimated.

All the best,

John A