[lbo-talk] gun ownership (was: Democratic Communism

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Thu Nov 13 06:33:13 PST 2003

Jordan opined:

> ... and then goes on to quote some crap that seems to link gun
ownership
> with gun violence, when of course there's no linkage at all.

Jordan, you know darn well that this argument is purely semantic. The ownership per se does not mean jack shit - nobody in his right mind would argue that owning a gun would turn a person into a murderer - just like having a penis does not turn a person into a rapist. It is the easy access to the thing by people who are otherwise disposed to engage in violent acts - having access to more efficient tool simply makes them more lethal.

As I understand, the NRA and assorted gun crazies are opposed to even the most sensible means of weapon ownership regulation and limiting the access to weapons by the violent and otherwise dangerous elements of the society.

What this country needs is (i) sensible gun ownership control that limits the access to the lethal weapons for people deemed dangerous and (ii) gun fanatic control that keeps gun crazies from imposing their warped mind-set on the rest of society.

Wojtek