[lbo-talk] Let Ralph Debate in 2004

Joseph Wanzala jwanzala at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 13 09:29:05 PST 2003

I am saying that because of the way in which strategic military planning works, the two policies are part of a piece. By the time the US under Bush launched an operatrion like the invasion of Iraq in 2003 (which is more about consolidating US military presence in that region - to police the worlds oil reserves - and may well see an extension of military operations into Syria and/or Saudi Arabia), such an operation had to have been in the works for at least five years, indeed this has revealed to be the case. The policy under Clinton paved the way for the military operations principally through softening-up Iraq by the enforcement of sanctions. I believe that they did not invade in 1990 because military they could not. By 2003 the country had been crippled to such a level to make invasion feasible. Let us not forget Madeline Albright's remarks about how the lives of 500,000 children, victims of the sanctions, were 'worth the trouble' (paraphrasing).

Also, let us not forget that the US bombing of Yugoslavia under Clinton was carried out for the same sort of strategic reasons, but instead of WMDs, the used the 'human-rights' (mass graves) ruse.

Joe W.