Marxist for Dean? Re: [lbo-talk] Dean - biz as usual???????

Nathan Newman nathanne at nathannewman.org
Thu Nov 13 10:40:28 PST 2003

----- Original Message ----- From: "boddhisatva" <boddhisatva at netzero.net>

Com. Doug wrote: "I'm thinking of starting a "Marxists for Dean" caucus, with the slogan, "It's conjunctural, man." Any volunteers to sign the initial manifesto?"

Count me in, although I'm soft-selling my own politics among my fellow Dean volunteers. They're Democrats and I don't want to shock them too much. --

The question is what is accomplished by such a group? It's existence will of course be used to attack Dean. Some rightwing sites are counting the number of references to Ted Rall on Dean blogs to "expose" Dean's anti-American credentials.

So there should be some expected countervailing gain from creating such a named affinity group. I'm all for using the S- word and even the M- word, but the costs of such labelling in our culture should be justified by analyzed gains from it.

-- nathan