[lbo-talk] Let Ralph Debate in 2004

Joseph Wanzala jwanzala at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 13 12:04:23 PST 2003

I can hardly be found to be provincial about this given that my views are informed by a non-US perspective, though I live in the US, I can't even carry on a conversation about sports - but I am avidly following the Rugby World Cup in Australia. (Like many of us I presume) I am in contact with friends, relatives and comrades all over the world on this and related topics and the people I speak to, while of course acknowledging the brazen brutality and greed of the current White House are under no illusions about the supposed benevolence of the other 'War Party'.

As somebody pointed out on a another list where this issue is being debated "Saying defeating Bush will defeat Bushism and the right is as short signed as Herbert Aptheker saying back in '64 that defeating Goldwater would defeat the right back then... look where we are now." We MUST think LONG-TERM.

I worry less about who is in the White House than the consciousness of political thougt among progressives. We tend to be more alarmed by things the Republicans do than we are about the Democrats even when they do the same sorts of things. I think this is a major folly that the Democrats exploit to their advantage. if we would pay morte attention to what is being done and oppose it with equal vigor than modulate our reaction based on our perception of the perpetrators - we would be in much better shape.

Joe W.