[lbo-talk] Let Ralph Debate in 2004

Joseph Wanzala jwanzala at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 13 13:03:29 PST 2003

the phrase 'reckless militarism' strikes me as something of a tautology; militarism is by definition reckless about the human toll, and somewhat reckless (arrogant) about 'side-effects' like the sort of opposition the US is experiencing in Iraq. But I do not know that we can conclude that the recent US military interventions (Afghanistan, Iraq) have been reckless in terms of strategic goals. I would argue that the strategic goals were quite well thought out - and I think they are still unfolding. To that extent, I think the Bush administration has been no more reckless than the US bombing of Yugoslavia (which contemplated ground troops) or Indo-China for that matter. As Chomsky has pointed out - while the US may have appeared to have 'lost' the Vietnam war militarily, it achieved political and strategic victories. The same may prove true of the US intervention in the Middle East. At any rate, however you might want to charaterize the Iraq war, I don't believe it has been carried out - or is going forward without planning.

Joe W.