[lbo-talk] gun ownership (was: Democratic Communism

Bill Bartlett billbartlett at dodo.com.au
Thu Nov 13 19:17:06 PST 2003

At 5:41 PM -0500 13/11/03, Matt wrote:

> But do many
>people do person-to-person transfers all the time and not pay the fee
>and get the background check? Sure. How could one stop that?
>Registries and random searches?

Easy. All firearms must be registered here, as well as all firearms licensed.

And all transfers of firearms must be done through a licensed gun dealer. If I sell a gun privately to someone, I have to do it through a registered gun dealer, including depositing it with the gun dealer for the mandatory 30 day cooling off period after the transfer of registration papers are filed.

The only loophole I think is that I can loan a firearm to someone who has the correct gun license to use that firearm.

Its quite a pain. Similar provisions apply in every state in Australia. Thanks to the deranged Martin Bryant's little escapade at Port Arthur.

>The real problem of violence in the US has nothing to do with
>guns. If the anti-gunners directed their resources to anti-drug-war
>groups they might actually be able to save lives. The classist and
>racist drug war should be the issue, not the weapon of choice used to
>fight the war.

Let's not overstate it. When people get shot it has something to do with guns. Guns may not be the fundamental problem, but reasonable regulation of firearms can still be a small part of the solution. The regulation goes too far in Australia, but it is insane to allow people to own firearms designed entirely for and useless for other than antipersonnel purposes.

Bill Bartlett Bracknell Tas