[lbo-talk] Re: Alterglobalization (was Beyond Globophobia)

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Fri Nov 14 10:40:53 PST 2003

Michael Dawson wrote:

> "Another World is Possible" is, IMHO, one of the best slogans we (the left)
> have produced. It isn't dorky at all. It's directly aimed at precisely the
> thing that stops people from spending energy on learning left ideas -- the
> TINA thesis.

"Another World Is Possible," unlike most slogans of virtually all social movements, is a statement of vague hope addressed to no one in particular, rather than a clear political demand ("Stop the US Aid to Israel") or a stirring call to action ("Workers of the World, Unite!"). It is noteworthy that the slogan "Another World Is Possible" doesn't have an action verb.

> The pedigree is also good -- the French general strike of 1968.

France in 1968 is of historical interest to us -- it demonstrates that when you are unclear about your ends and means, you get easily disarmed by those who actually have clear goals, even if your sentiments are far nobler than your political opponents' (de Gaulle and the PCF).

> "Workers of the World Unite"?

That's the most appropriate slogan for internationalists on the left who are put off by the strains of economic nationalism in some quarters of the so-called "global justice" movement.

Yoshie