[lbo-talk] Re: Beyond Globophobia

Eubulides paraconsistent at comcast.net
Fri Nov 14 13:09:14 PST 2003

----- Original Message ----- From: "Yoshie Furuhashi" <furuhashi.1 at osu.edu>

> > Why make buggy whips if you can make a car?
> >
> > Ian
> >

> Taking power at the level of a state and "taking it over" (it being
> wealth created by socialized production) at the global level aren't like
> two different tools, one older than the other.
>
> Yoshie

Thinking like a State is like buggy whips. Thinking about multilevel governance at this stage is like thinking about how to build a car when the world is filled with horse carriages and buggy whips. Once you have the idea that a car is constructible, why would you want to get a bigger share of a buggy whip market. There's not a shred of evidence that democratic governance must be reducible to thinking like a State.

"How do you take it over without taking power at the level of a state?"

Right now, and for a while, we need to *create* our own powers, skills etc. of self governance at a non-state level of organizing --workers have no country and all that. Power is not a zero-sum game.

See James Scott and Benno Teschke if your imagination needs a spark.

Ian