[lbo-talk] "Uncle Alex" Cockburn In NYC Nov. 25

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sat Nov 15 17:22:55 PST 2003

Shane Taylor wrote:

> Bob Feldman wrote:
> > Ironically, "Uncle Alex"'s niece, Stephanie
> > Flanders, used to work as a
> > speechwriter and aide to Harvard University
> > President Larry Summers when he
>
> mike larkin wrote:
> > Even the Cockburns don't pass this clown's ideological
> > litmus test!
>
> I know, this is getting good! It reminds me of the time a guy started to
> explain to me his plans to arm the Peace Corp, place it under Japanese
> control, and have it march across Africa establishing benevolent
> dictatorships to save the natives from themselves. I just stood quitely,
> in awe of how far thought-out the entire thing had been.

"Clown" seems accurate, and I stopped reading him [Feldman] after seeing his first subject line. Why waste bandwidth refuting such clowning?

But I want to suggest that your analogy applies _also_ to the people on this list who are pledging themselves to the "Anyone but Bush" campaign -- and especially those who are rambling on about "tactical voting," in sublime innocence that before you can engage in tactics you have to have _some_ kind of army. Indulging in e-list insults at those who won't join the goose-step to the DP seems hardly a very good way of raising a cadre to raise an army that might then vote tactically.

Not one of those "practical" people (except I assume Nathan) has indicated just how they are going to make a difference next fall or during the primary campaign. They merely wring their hands at how horrible Bush is and sneer at those who don't join in the sneering. A wonderful way to elect a president.

Carrol

P.S. On Cockburn. He is a find manufacturer of munitions, and I have often made use of him. As I have of Doug's LBO. Neither Cockburn nor Doug seems to have much of an idea of how to _use_ political ammunition to actually move people.