[lbo-talk] MIT Prof Chomsky At Columbia on Nov. 20

Bob Feldman bob_jan at xensei.com
Sat Nov 15 21:46:37 PST 2003

Observers of Left Business in the NYC area may be interested in hearing MIT Professor Noam Chomsky speak at Columbia University's Miller Theater at 116th Street & Broadway on Thursday, Nov. 20th between 2 p.m. and 3:30 p.m. MIT Professor Chomsky's speech topic is entitled "After The War" and the admission price being charged by Columbia for the MIT professor's speech is apparently going to be $20.

Ironically, MIT continues to engage in weapons research work for the U.S. Warfare State, as indicated by the following excerpts from the October 10, 2002 testimony of MIT Professor Sheila Widnall before the House Committee on Science:

"Mr. Chairman and Members of the Committee;

"I am happy to have the opportunity to appear before you today to discuss an issue that will have a profound effect on basic research and education in universities and may control the very productivity of American science and technology itself, as well as its contributions to our national security, our economic development and the health of our people; as you recognize, the stakes are very high.

"I have submitted a written statement and request that it be entered into the record. I also request that the MIT report entitled "In The Public Interest", which I shall reference in my remarks, and the Annual Report of the President of MIT, Dr. Charles Vest entitled "RESPONSE AND RESPONSIBILITY: Balancing Security and Openness in Research and Education" be entered into the record.

"I am Sheila Widnall, Institute Professor and Professor of Aeronautics and Astronautics at MIT. I am also Vice President of the National Academy of Engineering, a member of the Executive Committee of the National Research Council, and a member of the National Academies' Committee on Science, Engineering and Public Policy. I served as Secretary of the Air Force from 1993 to 1997. So I enter the discussion of basic research and national security from a variety of vantage points.

"I appear before you today as Chairman of the MIT Committee on Access to and Disclosure of Scientific Information. This Committee was established jointly by the MIT Provost and the Chairman of the Faculty and asked to determine if our current policies provide adequate guidance to consider MIT's role in classified research in the context of the 21st Century: policies governing the conduct of classified research on our campus; policies governing participation of faculty and students in classified programs at Lincoln Laboratory and other cleared facilities; policies governing the access to classified material on our campus; and restrictions on access to research results that flow from industrially-sponsored research. We also examined the emerging regimes of other restrictions-such as the designation sensitive--on research disclosure and research materials that fall short of full classification but none-the-less restrict access to and dissemination of research results.

"Our report, entitled "In the Public Interest" was published in June and has received considerable notice within the scientific and science-policy communities as well as wide coverage in the media...

"MIT has a long and distinguished record of public service. Our report documents that record, beginning with its role in developing radar during WWII. That effort established the institutional framework for the participation of the physical science and engineering communities in research related to national security and the relation between open basic research on our campuses and the classified regime that occurs in special laboratories. It also brought into being a scientific advisory committee structure, many holding security clearances, to advise government agencies on the quality of defense research and the identification and the application of new critical research results. Most faculty in the physical sciences and engineering have a detailed understanding of the relationship between their research and teaching and its application through our industrial base to national security. In my case, I understand the relationship between my graduate aerodynamics course and what it takes to build an F22, and I know why we might want to do that.

"MIT today manages Lincoln Laboratory in support of the national security mission of the Department of Defense. Many MIT faculty participate in classified research and advisory activities at Lincoln. In addition, many members of the MIT faculty hold security clearances to support their participation in advisory committees to the federal government. We believe that these are important forms of public service performed by MIT. Our committee was quite clear on our willingness to do classified research in the service of the nation on all topics within MIT's expertise.

"I will summarize a few of our findings and recommendations that are relevant to your concerns. We recommended:

"...That research programs designed to respond to national needs may occasionally involve a classified component such as a classified follow-on program to apply the results of fundamental research to the development of systems and/or hardware, or the need to use specialized equipment in cleared facilities to measure material or component characteristics. There are several organizations that can provide access to classified facilities to enable MIT faculty to carry out the classified portions of their research. ..

" That the management and oversight of Lincoln Laboratory are major components of the public service that MIT carries out for the nation. In its oversight role, MIT should continue its active management of Lincoln Laboratory to insure that: 1) the research meets MIT standards for independence and quality, and 2) in so far as possible, Lincoln provides an environment that enables faculty to do research with national security implications.

" That there may be times when rapid near-term access to specialized MIT on-campus facilities and expertise will be required by the nation. Examples of this would be the need for forensic analysis of biological materials, materials preparation, and the use of other facilities and expertise for significant national purpose other than research. Providing this type of assistance may require special procedures for restricted access. We believe that MIT should make such expertise available for a short-time response with a time-definite sunset clause.

" That MIT faculty play important public service roles in areas requiring access to classified materials. To support these activities we recommend that MIT hold security clearances for faculty who require them, and provide off-campus facilities to allow access to classified materials needed to engage in research or public service..."

Another U.S. university that continues to help serve the needs of the U.S. Warfare State is Illinois State University, which apparently still trains military officers for the U.S. Army on its campus. In the words of the web site of Illinois State University's Army ROTC department:

"Welcome to the Redbird Battalion website. I hope you've hit the website because you are interested in Illinois State University and Army ROTC. If you are someone with an interest in leading others and making a difference in our society, then you have come to the right place. There are innumerable academic opportunities for you at ISU and Army ROTC serves to widen your opportunities both in school and after graduation.

"Our ROTC program is all about world-class leadership. We focus on you the individual and work to develop your personal leadership skills through a series of classes, labs and leadership positions. We will teach you leadership skills and give you “hands-on” experience that will ensure your success as an Army Lieutenant in the Guard, Reserve or Active Army. These same skills will easily translate into successful supervisory or management skills in the corporate world."

bob