[lbo-talk] Re: What's at stake?

Dwayne Monroe idoru345 at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 16 15:41:31 PST 2003

Chuck Grimes writes:

I am voting for Bush.

<snip>

Do I advocate Bush because I think he will help any progressive political agenda, or do I have some hidden agenda? Hell no. He has done more to polarize the entire world against the US, and polarize the US against itself, in a depth and breath that is truly astonishing. And given the alternative, which is the usual meally mouthed apologist Democrat like Dean, I say stay the course.

I advocate Bush because he is well on the way to destroying everything he stands for, and every special interest that put him in power---from the corporate pig establishment and east coast neo-cons to the western lumber, mining and oil conglomerates busy milking the earth out everything it holds, down to the last racist bible banging bigot in LA or Mississippi. BTW, are there any of these left who haven't yet been appointed to an appeals court or important public office?

<snip>

==========

These words are as tough as aircraft grade titanium.

While they may not be popular with many of us here, who believe that a vote for Dean (followed by a hoped-for victory) will mean a rolling back of the damage done and forward movement on various progressive matters, I understand the revolutionary logic therein.

The people must be utterly and completely betrayed by their dreams and heroes before the space for genuine progress (or alternatively, genuine retrogression) will exist. The Busheviks will betray everyone, even themselves, in the long run. We must help them do their sinister work via the ballot box and plan for the inevitable collapse.

The stakes are high, but this is the game we're in.

I'm sure there are historical precendents for this *through-the-fire* strategy but it reminds me of the plans and actions of Shakespere's Antony in the play Julius Caesar.

He praises his enemies, the assasins of Caesar, in public, seeming to applaud their agenda all the while setting in motion events (through one brilliant speech to a crowd in the Roman forum) that will drive them into the grave.

He describes the world his words will spawn:

A curse shall light upon the limbs of men; Domestic fury and fierce civil strife Shall cumber all the parts of Italy; Blood and destruction shall be so in use And dreadful objects so familiar That mothers shall but smile when they behold Their infants quarter'd with the hands of war; All pity choked with custom of fell deeds: And Caesar's spirit, ranging for revenge, With Ate by his side come hot from hell, Shall in these confines with a monarch's voice Cry 'Havoc,' and let slip the dogs of war

It seems Chuck, that you have decided to cry havoc.

DRM