[lbo-talk] Militarism & U.S. Corporate Economy

Bob Feldman bob_jan at xensei.com
Mon Nov 17 08:46:52 PST 2003

From: Brian Siano <siano at mail.med.upenn.edu> To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] New Left's Dollars & Sense magazine Nov/Dec 2003 issue Reply-To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org

So I should check out the magazine if I:

a) am an activist who is anti-war AND anti-corporate AND anti-plutocratic, b) oppose continued U.S. military aid to Israel, c) reject the system that _both_ Soros' Democrats and the GOP wish to preserve.

But what if I'm anti-war, but reasonably okay with coroporations? What if I'm opposed to _continued_ _U.S._ _military_ aid to Israel, but I don't mind limited U.S. financial aid? And what if I want to preserve a system that non-Soros Democrats want to preserve?

Do I have to draw a decision tree before I subscribe? Isn't this rather _complicated_?

REPLY::

A bipartisan foreign policy of either "unilateral militarism" or "multilateral militarism" appears to be built into the social structure of the corporatist U.S. economic system of "Corporate Militarism". (see C. Wright Mills, The Causes of World War III book, for instance). And bipartisan support for even "limited financial aid to the Sharon regime" also continues to perpetuate the drift to yet another Middle East war escalation. So anti-war readers like yourself, often also become anti-corporate and opposed to even limited financial aid to the Militaristic Israeli Establishment; and they often end up reading magazines like Dollars & Sense and/or supporting third party anti-war left electoral alternatives to Bush's GOP or Soros'Dems. Without creating an anti-corporate economic system in the USA, I'm skeptical that U.S. anti-war activists are going to be able to really end the current era of "permanent war" and institutionalized U.S. militarism.

bob