[lbo-talk] Antidepressant drugs may protect brain from damage due to depression

Michael Dawson -PSU mdawson at pdx.edu
Mon Nov 17 11:09:10 PST 2003

"I think it's possible to be a materialist *WHILE* upholding the importance of environmental factors."

-Curtiss

Well, aren't environments just as material as biological structures? Sure, they change faster, but what's the difference, really? I've always thought that the sine qua non of historical materialism was insisting on explaining hoe Ideas are never independent of environments and biological processes.

Personally, as I think I've said before here, I think the new brain research is providing solid ground for deepening historical materialism and criticizing capitalism. The ultimate substance of value is love, and capitalism, being based on money, can't help but attack and stymie that substance.

Why wait for "someday?" Let's start explaining this today!