[lbo-talk] Re: Anybody But Bush for Empire

Nathan Newman nathanne at nathannewman.org
Mon Nov 17 11:14:52 PST 2003

----- Original Message ----- From: "JW Mason" <j.w.mason at earthlink.net>
> why? i wouldn't expect that even the most "orthodox" of marxists would
> believe that one's class position necessarily determines one's politics.

-Well, there's some space between "necessarily determines" and "has no -connection to."

But there's a reasonable argument that "super-wealth" essentially frees people from any material concern with their own class position. When 99% of our wealth can be confiscated without really touching your lifestyle, its hard not to believe that personal eccentricity wouldn't trump class position.

The most severe class politics should objectively come from the core capitalist class that lives directly from the profits of its holdings, since any progressive political change towards ending inequality may directly and linearly effect their economic position. Which is borne out by the fact that the nastiest politics come from groups like the National Federation of Independent Business-- the small business lobby.

-- Nathan Newman