[lbo-talk] Antidepressant drugs may protect brain from damage due to depression

Curtiss Leung curtiss_leung at ibi.com
Mon Nov 17 13:57:09 PST 2003

Michael:

> Well, aren't environments just as material as biological structures?
Sure,
> they change faster, but what's the difference, really? I've always
thought
> that the sine qua non of historical materialism was insisting on
explaining
> hoe Ideas are never independent of environments and biological
processes.

I agree (obviously). OTOH, I have encountered those who think/feel that any discussion of material processes in mental life is tantamount to getting in bed with pseudo-scientific racists, so I wanted to reply to that before it came up.

...now that I think of it, this quarrel has only every come up in forums that I've paid money to belong to. Never mind.

-- Curtiss