[lbo-talk] The Meatrix

the-squeeze at pulpculture.org the-squeeze at pulpculture.org
Tue Nov 18 04:37:06 PST 2003

At 01:59 PM 11/12/03 -0800, Jordan Hayes wrote:
> > Speaking of which, I saw "Revolutions" yesterday. The ending
> > angered my daughter who erupted in the theater,
> > "That's it?! That's the ending of 'The
> > Matrix' triology?! That sucked!!"
> >
> > I love my daughter.
>
>Jon Stewart has been taking every opportunity to say that "it
>blooooowwss!" ...

Fuckmedead, but that it did. We took the sonshine and some members of testosterone central to see it. Cheeeeeeeriminy, I don't know whether I was hypoglycemic from my depletion work out or what, but I had to fight to stay awake for awhile there. When things started to heat up a bit, there was something for me to crack jokes about or poke my son in the ribs and whisper, "She's gonna get whacked. Wanna bet?"

When we left, we pulled into traffic behind a haysooz freak with the fish (fry) symbol [1] and assorted other "jiss christian" symbols plastered all over his truck. Big ol' sign smack dab in the center of the truck to entertain me as I waited for the light to turn:

"I asked Jesus if He loved me. And He spread his arms and died."

I thought, "Pal, ya got the plot of Matrix Revs 'jisssssss right. Zizek would be lurvin' that one.'

See, I think the studio made the Wachowski Bros. watch Joseph Campbell's _The Power of Myth_ about 300 times, that's all. The basic idea was in there from the beginning, of course: Neo the Saviour who doesn't realize he's the One, who must struggle to become the One. Jiss like jesus. Wow, what a surprise: theology of good'n'evil, where good'n'evil are inseparable, two sides of the same coin. Ya gotta cut a deal, though, in order to a get a pseudo=peace on earth. I believe! I believe! Neo must become the conduit from Smith's, in order to plug Smith in and delete him. Did Neo die? Sooprise, Neo's got a cross-like light piercing through his body! Trinity...the threes floating through the flick.

Since Reloaded and Revolutions were supposed to be one flick, they're really the second in the Trilogy. A third (fourth) flick will show how Christianity (maybe all religions?) is what duped people. Gotcha, say the W Bros, you loved Neo too. You believed, You believed. Like Morpheus who went from someone strong and intelligent, capable of rehearsing the arguments that dominated Greek philosophy B.C. But, then Christ comes along, dies for our sins, Morpheus believes, he believes. As he does so, he becomes this pathetic, weak idiot who can barely grunt by the end. I believe, I believe! the Dark Ages will eventually ensue. Like, wow, the W BRros do Western Civ 101.

Kelley