[lbo-talk] Iranian President recognises Iraq's Governing Council

uvj at vsnl.com uvj at vsnl.com
Tue Nov 18 06:22:33 PST 2003

HindustanTimes.com

Tuesday, November 18, 2003

Iranian President recognises Iraq's Governing Council

Agence France-Presse Tehran, November 18

Iranian President Mohammad Khatami for the first time on Monday expressly recognised the US-backed interim Iraqi Governing Council saying it was "capable", with the people, of running the country and leading it toward independence.

"We recognise the Iraqi Governing Council and we believe it is capable, with the Iraqi people, of managing the affairs of the country and of taking measures leading toward independence," Khatami said in a statement carried by the student ISNA news agency.

© Hindustan Times Ltd. 2003.