[lbo-talk] Re: What's at stake?

JBrown72073 at cs.com JBrown72073 at cs.com
Tue Nov 18 10:20:43 PST 2003

Chuck Grimes writes:
>Jenny Brown writes: ``Make'em steal this next one too, I say. Why hand
>it to `em?''
>
>Well as you can see, in California the Right just buys a new governor,
>if they don't like the old one.

OK, procure. Now _there's_ an election that should've had people sitting-in in the voting booths, destroying ballots and putting glue in the machines. Not that I'm advocating illegal acts for political purposes, or anything. This is all rhetorical, natch.

But hey, who cares? Davis was such a dweeb, no better than the Repubs. really. Maybe worse. Whoah, AS'll really wake em up & make em suffer for their sins of inattention. Vote for AS, let Ca. crumble first. /sarcasm

Bill Bartlett writes:
>Bush is an incompetent moron. Please vote for him. The USA needs to

>be taken down a peg or two, Bush is just the man for the job. Sure, I

>suppose one of the Democrat candidates could be just as stupid and

>incompetent, but why take the chance. Bush has proven he is up to the

>job and deserves the chance to finish it.

You know what the essential fantasy in all this is? That the Bush gang'll give up power if voted out. There's going to be a pitched battle and 'which side are you on?' is not going to be at all rhetorical. Well, there'll be a pitched battle if we do our jobs. If we all follow Bartlett's advice, there won't be a battle, Bush'll quietly steal or buy enough votes to gain office in a Reaganesque 'landslide' and the left will be hard-pressed to convince anyone that there's some mythical silent majority out there that doesn't like his policies but just couldn't get it together to vote.

Think about it, say in September polls show that some Democratic nominee is 8 points ahead. You really think that election's happening? I say another terrorist attack requires the country to either suddenly pull behind its putative leader or, uh, postpone the election--security concerns, ya know. It's only resistance that has and will expose these folks, not quiescence, however it's being justified.

Jenny Brown