[lbo-talk] Campaigning vs. Voting

uvj at vsnl.com uvj at vsnl.com
Tue Nov 18 18:21:01 PST 2003

Doug Henwood wrote:

> >My own view is that one needs to discredit the electoral process by
> >rather spreading ideas on how to create a system of dual power, so
> >that eventually very few people go to the polls but many participate
> >in other forms of political organisation. It would at least be nice
> >to see some discussion of the latter possibilities.
>
> I'm enthusiastically open to that. Electoral politics is just one
> field among many, and as I've also said before, it's not an either/or
> thing. So if you'd like to inject alternatives, you're very welcome.

What kind of mass popular movements are possible in the developed countries today? I suppose an answer to that question largely depends on the framework within which the world is viewed.

e.g. If "Leninist"views are correct and the resilience of imperialism in the "First World" depends largely on the exploitation of the "Third World" ("super profits etc.), then there appears to be no basis to believe that the Left can grow in the "First World."

Ulhas