[lbo-talk] WBAI crisis

Chuck0 chuck at mutualaid.org
Tue Nov 18 20:33:27 PST 2003

John Adams wrote:

> On Tuesday, November 18, 2003, at 07:25 PM, Chuck0 wrote:
>
>> How much money is being wasted on syndicated programming like Gary
>> Null's worthless show?
>
> Wrong question--ask this instead: How much are they making by running
> it? There's almost certainly fundraising going on around it, and it's
> almost certainly pulling in more than is going out.

That's a very valid point, but what about the intangible number of people who get turned off from a Pacifica station because of crap like Gary Null?

I know that there have to be people who stop listening to Pacifica stations because they don't like this program or that program. I only started listening to the Pacifica network on a regular basis a year ago, when friends pushed "Democracy Now" on me. I was turned off of Pacifica back in the mid 90s when I was in Madison, Wisconsin, and had to listen to Null on WORT-FM, because the bookstore played that station. I hate to say it, but for a guy who loves radio and who went without TV for years on end, I was mostly listening to NPR and sports talk radio.

The other ironic thing about my late adoption of Pacifica stations in my listening habits is that one of my good friends helped spearhead the Save Pacifica campaign.

<< Chuck0 >>