[lbo-talk] Henwood in Seattle

boddhisatva boddhisatva at netzero.net
Tue Nov 18 22:50:16 PST 2003

Dear C.'s

After a decade of reading Doug Henwood, I can't tell you how nice it was to hear him today. Of course I've always found him persuasive but in this time and political context he just comes across so smart and reasonable. Finally we have come to a place in America where Doug Henwood would be a natural on "Nightline" or "The News Hour". The capitalist theocracy is defrocked and the marketocracy and meritocracy dogmas so tarnished that an intelligent social democrat like Doug sounds calm and bright, not at all awkward or out of place. People are loving the message of Doug's book and they want to hear more. He deserves our congratulations.

Although I'm a relatively new arrival, I want to apoligize to Doug for Seattle's having given him such lackluster reception. The audiences in this town are usually large and very receptive but we had the worst storm of the season today and there was flooding everywhere. Bad luck, but I hope Doug's publisher will send him out here again. I can tell you that when I returned to the Dean campaign office with my signed copy of "After the New Economy" one of the campaign staff borrowed it off me right away.

It was nice to meet you, Doug, after all these Internet years and it was nice to meet my fellow Seattle listmates.

peace,

boddi