[lbo-talk] It's so beautiful

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 19 09:39:55 PST 2003

> I know "torch" means "flashlight" over in Britain.
> But for a moment, I
> had this ghastly image of women examining themselves
> with welders'
> oxycetylene torches going full blast.

And "fag" means cigarette, and "faggot" means wood or charcoal for grilling. (the American "faggot" comes from this, via "flaming.") While living in England two decades ago I recall a billboard advertising bread to put hamburgers on. It read: "Eat Faggot Buns." I have a photo to show to skeptics. Also, when you go around to visit someone, which you did there when I was there more than you did here, because in Cambridge students didn't have phones, the English would say, "I'll knock you up at 8." jks