[lbo-talk] What's at stake?

Luke Weiger lweiger at umich.edu
Wed Nov 19 10:07:03 PST 2003

----- Original Message ----- From: "Charles Brown" <cbrown at michiganlegal.org>

> CB: I know Stephen Hawking is more intelligent than I am, but can we
discuss
> this ?

Sure, that was my oblique point: contra Doug, the fact that a (generally) smart, rational person believes x doesn't by itself demonstrate the non-looneyness of x. I wonder where Hawking thinks computers will get the will to dominate from.

> Isn't there some qualitative difference between artificial and "real"
> intelligence still ?

Depends. Maybe a computer could pass the Turing test and still not be intelligent in the manner we're intelligent--but it seems clear that non-organic manner could think and feel in just the manner we think and feel (as I've mentioned before, Kripke constructs a pretty strong argument against mind-body reductionism on the basis of the seeming coherence of this notion).

-- Luke