[lbo-talk] What's at stake?

Miles Jackson cqmv at pdx.edu
Wed Nov 19 11:14:29 PST 2003

On Wed, 19 Nov 2003, Charles Brown wrote:

> CB: I know Stephen Hawking is more intelligent than I am, but can we discuss
> this ? Isn't there some qualitative difference between artificial and "real"
> intelligence still ?

Despite the hype, AI is still pretty pathetic. The AI guys can't even create effective computerized language translators or speech detection software; we won't need to worry about androids/robots thinking for themselves for a long time (if ever). The sentient machine theme is a nice premise for movies and books, though.

Miles