[lbo-talk] AI

Curtiss Leung curtiss_leung at ibi.com
Wed Nov 19 11:38:30 PST 2003

Jeez, I'm shocked by how obtuse kids can be. Did you keep a straight face?

I have a dim memory of Dennett on a PBS special saying that a piece of software that could pass a general Turing test should be accorded the rights of a human. Seems right to me.

Question: did you ever have a student who anticipated your twist on the discussion, or thought that even if they sweetheart, etc. were a robot, it didn't matter and that such robots must have internal states akin or identical to consciousness? Anybody ever reply that we're just robots implemented with biological rather than electronic stuff?

Curtiss