[lbo-talk] Re: What's at stake?

JBrown72073 at cs.com JBrown72073 at cs.com
Wed Nov 19 13:04:33 PST 2003

Dennis Perrin writes:
>> Does anyone really believe this? It would be the worst move BushCo could
>> make, esp after all the "democracy & freedom" talk regarding Iraq. So,
>> they're gonna stage elections in Iraq but cancel them here? Are you
serious?
>> Do you think that the mass of America would stand for such a thing, or more
>> specifically, all those millions who voted for Gore and Congressional Dems?

When I went to Tallahassee during the aftermath of the 2000 elections I thought there would be about 20-40,000 people there; I'd just been there a few months before for an affirmative action rally that drew 10,000. I thought for sure that for THIS we'd shut the town down. We had about 2-3,000--not enough to really fill the area in which we rallied.

But no, despite that chilling, disheartening experience, I don't think we'd stand for it. That doesn't mean they're not going to try some nastiness, at least on the level of previous nastiness, probably more on the level of their current nastiness, which is nastier than we've seen for a while. But they won't have to if we don't put up a fight. Their ideal is to win through the combined application of hundreds of millions of dollars and Fox News and the other war press. For everything else, there's Carl Rove.

Hmm. I'm arguing why we should put up a fight against the Bush agenda in the next election. That hardly makes me WU material. And yeah, there is a non-zero possibility they will hang their heads in shame and shuffle from the White House, begging the forgiveness of the American people. I'm all for the string of indictments that would increase the chances of that.

> This is crazy. Kel's prediction about a loonier left seems in the offing.

> DP

Dennis--and I mean this in the nicest way--fuck you and the computer you wrote in on.

Jenny Brown