[lbo-talk] What's at stake?/AI again

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 19 18:00:51 PST 2003

I and some others have alluded to connectionism and neural net theory. Many people in AI think that non-algorithmic connectionist models will do better in capuring human thought than the Good Old Fashioned AI models, which are algorithmic. This is speculative but there were some promsing results last time I looked, which is now ten years ago or so. For more info, check out some recent text on cognitive science. Btw, all thinking, algorithmic or not, _can_ be represented as the output of a Turing machine, but it turns out that this is not a useful or illuminating fact beyond the most abstract level of analysis. jks