[lbo-talk] Re: What's at stake?

Dennis Perrin dperrin at comcast.net
Thu Nov 20 06:26:59 PST 2003

> My real anger is directed at the broad socio-economic and cultural
> milieu that I theoretically belong to---those ever popular brain-dead
> white guys of middle america 25-50yrs that the Democrats and
> Republicans fight over constantly---to the exclusion of just about
> everybody else.
>
> What I know is, it explains to me why I hate the motherfucker beyond
> reason. In my mind, he is an amalgam of every white-guy jerk I ever
> knew starting in public school grounds, through college, all the way
> out to the last job I quit . . . I want to get to these guys in the worst
way and throttle the living
> shit out of them---along the lines of an R. Lee Ermey DI in some
> leftwing Get Real Re-education Camp:

> Chuck Grimes

Ah, now this is the Chuck Grimes I love. And I completely understand the above sentiments. I spent much of my youth among well-to-do white suburbanites, and know well the archetype Chuck blasts. I couldn't stand any of them either, their pretension, their greed, their racism, their faux entitlement, their fucking golf bags and checked pants. I spent more time with the working class kids in the nearby trailer park whose fathers worked in factories or in construction. This wasn't a conscious political choice -- I just felt at home there, for some reason. It felt freer and more relaxed than the Zombie World my mother preferred. So, yes, when I see Bush or any of those rogues around him, I get the same pain in my head & gut.

Perhaps it's age or the fact that I have kids, but I do see hope and promise in between the piles of bodies and the mountains of lies. I suppose that's why I reacted to Chuck's nihilistic rant the way I did (and as nihilistic rants go, Chuck's was poetically written). As Chomsky says, if you believe there's no hope, you guarantee there's no hope. Why let these criminals run rampant? We need all the intelligent and principled resistance we can get. And I want to live in a world where a first-rate mind like Chuck's can ease back and focus on creative and positive endeavors. We need you, Chuck!

DP