[lbo-talk] Fisk avoiding facts? really?

Chip Berlet cberlet at igc.org
Thu Nov 20 15:33:16 PST 2003

Hi,

This ability of elites to rationalize is key to understanding how the system works in an organic way to keep oppression in place. The same rationalization takes place in sectors oppressed by elites when their anger is directed away from the actual source of their oppression.

This is from the conclusion to the book Matt Lyons and I wrote, Right-Wing Populism in America:

"But most people in right-wing populist movements don't get up in the morning and say to themselves, 'I'm going to victimize some oppressed groups today to get more power and privilege.' What they are more likely to say is, 'I want to get my fair share.' They embrace narratives that portray themselves as victims and that depict the people they target as either more powerful than they are, being given an unfair advantage, or being immoral. This was true in 1676, when Nathaniel Bacon declared that a corrupt governor was unfairly favoring Indians against English settlers. And it was equally true in the 1990s, when right-wing populists demanded an end to 'racial discrimination against white people' and 'no special rights for homosexuals.' Such claims are a form of scapegoating in defense of social inequality."

Another technique relied on is conspiracism, since this directs attention away from a class, race, gender analysis of institutionalized oppression.

Chip Berlet Senior Analyst Political Research Associates http://www.publiceye.org