[lbo-talk] Re: Luttwak: Far fewer troops than meet the eye; too few to succeed

Michael Pugliese debsian at pacbell.net
Thu Nov 20 17:34:22 PST 2003

On Thu, 20 Nov 2003 18:42:29 -0500, Yoshie Furuhashi <furuhashi.1 at osu.edu> wrote:

> It is to the credit of the working class in the USA that the US
> government has not reinstated conscription yet.
>
> Yoshie

http://www.talkleft.com/archives/004919.html Tuesday :: November 18, 2003

The Return of the Draft?

Democratic Underground reports:

Read this official budget carefully and you will see that Bush is gearing up the draft--there is no longer any doubt about it. Selective Service must report to Bush on March 31, 2005, that the system is ready for activation within 75 days. So on June 15, 2005, expect the announcement that the first draft lottery since Vietnam will be held for 20 year-olds.

Here is where the DU rubber hits the road, my friends. This is a DU EXCLUSIVE as far as I know, so please read this one carefully and let me know what we are going to do about it. To put this all into context, the SSS has lain basically dormant for decades and now in the 2004 budget, Bush has added $28 million to get the whole thing ready to fly in 2005. The 4 performance goals below basically make the system ready for activation.

Their source? The Selective Service itself.

D.U. says, "VOTE FOR BUSH IN 2004, BE DRAFTED IN 2005!! http://www.sss.gov/perfplan_fy2004.html

------- Forwarded message ------- From: Michael Pugliese <debsian at pacbell.net> To: "ufpj-news at yahoogroups.com" <ufpj-news at yahoogroups.com> Subject: Fwd: [liberation_news] $28 Million to get military DRAFT READY! Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2003 19:06:11 -0800

716016, DU SCOOP! (must read) $28 Million to get DRAFT READY BY JUNE 15, 2005!!

Oh, so there are "no plans" to re-instate the draft? No, there are just EXERCISES and $28 million extra to get the whole Selective Service ready and open for business by June 15, 2005!!

Read this official budget carefully and you will see that Bush is gearing up the draft--there is no longer any doubt about it. Selective Service must report to Bush on March 31, 2005, that the system is ready for activation within 75 days. So on June 15, 2005, expect the announcement that the first draft lottery since Vietnam will be held for 20 year-olds.

Here is where the DU rubber hits the road, my friends. This is a DU EXCLUSIVE as far as I know, so please read this one carefully and let me know what we are going to do about it. To put this all into context, the SSS has lain basically dormant for decades and now in the 2004 budget, Bush has added $28 million to get the whole thing ready to fly in 2005. The 4 performance goals below basically make the system ready for activation.

http://www.sss.gov/perfplan_fy2004.html

This FY 2004 APP identifies the activities and strategies that will take place during the fiscal year to achieve Agency goals and objectives. It also identifies relevant performance measurement target goals to be achieved. The performance goals for FY 2004 are:

1. Develop an Area Office Prototype Exercise that will test the Health Care Personnel Delivery System HCPDS) work flows and support programs.

2. Redefine Agency infrastructure based on a Quinquennial Workload Study.

3. Prepare and conduct an Area Office Prototype Exercise which tests the activation process from SSS Lottery input to the issuance of the first Armed Forces Examination Orders.

4. Ensure 90% of people tested are capable of implementing activation procedures.

5. Ensure that 95% of the predefined readiness objectives are attained and validated during an Area Office Prototype Exercise.

6. Train 90% of assigned State Directors (SDs) and Reserve Force Officers (RFOs) on HCPDS and Timed-Phased Response (TPR) functions and responsibilities.

7. Attain a 92% or greater compliance rate for men 18 through 25 years old.

8. Attain and appoint Registrars in 85% of the Nation’s high schools.

9. Obtain 75% of all registrations electronically.

10. Maintain an average systems change request implementation time of 39 days.

11. Maintain a functional proponent and customer satisfaction level of 87%.

12. Have a telephone call completion rate of 93% or higher.

13. Answer correspondence in less than 10 days.

14. Train 90% of assigned SDs and RFOs on Alternative Service plans and procedures.

ANNUAL PERFORMANCE REPORT

An annual report providing the results of the implementation of these performance measures will be submitted by March 31, 2005. This report will address attained versus planned levels of performance, explain unattained target levels, and identify where and how strategies, performance goals, and performance indicators should be changed to ensure that the SSS reaches its strategic and annual goals and objectives.

-- Michael Pugliese

There were basically three forms of totalitarianism.... One was the various kinds of Fascism, the other was Bolshevism, and a third was corporate capitalism. Two are gone." -- Noam Chomsky

http://www.antiwar.com/letters/letters521.html Posted November 13, 2003

Draft Board

I have heard through word of mouth and on one public TV station that the government is beginning to get a draft board together. For some reason I can't seem to find any information about this subject online or elsewhere. Do you know where I can get links for this if it is in fact true to pass it along?

~ Tiphanie M.

Eric Garris replies:

Here are some articles on it: "Talk of a draft grows despite denials by White House" http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/national/147483_draft08.html "Bush drives to fill draft and appeal board positions" http://www.datelinealabama.com/article/2003/11/04/4927_opinions_art.php3 "Will U.S. bring back the draft?" http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&c=Article&cid=1067987409688&call_pageid=968332188854&col=968350060724 "Feds Pull Selective Service Announcement from the Web" http://www.antiwar.com/blog/comments.php?id=P241_0_1_0 "Oiling Up the Draft Machine?" http://fairuse.1accesshost.com/news1/salon1.html "Appeal for Draft Board Volunteers Revives Memories of Vietnam." http://www.guardian.co.uk/usa/story/0,12271,1077906,00.html

I saw your article, below. I responded to the website and received a comprehensive info packet. Useful quotes: "The Standby Local Boards are ... a critical element in our National preparedness." "If necessary, the SSS will be mobilized to direct registrants to (induction)," "100,000 (inducted) in 30 days" "Officer will contact you to... conduct an interview." Seems pretty serious to me.

I plan to volunteer (this is unpaid); if accepted, I plan to do my best to ensure that this distasteful activity is performed equitably. Therefore please do not publicize my name.

~ JS

Is it me or is it odd that the site requesting for draft board volunteers gives a 'File Not Found' message now? http://www.defendamerica.mil/articles/sss092203.html

~ Mac Beaulieu

Eric Garris replies:

Here is the Google cache of that page: "Become a Selective Service System Local Board Member."

-- Michael Pugliese