[lbo-talk] re Conspiracy-Denialists Fear Free Discussion

Stephen Philion philion at hawaii.edu
Thu Nov 20 21:14:01 PST 2003

Shane wrote: Daniel was about to travel to Cuba, and Kennedy charged him with a private message to Castro to the effect that he, Kennedy, was prepared to negotiate a rapprochement between the US and Cuba.

--I've heard this before, no sense how accurate it is, though I doubt that the 'rapprochement' would have been anything that would have dramatically altered the quarantine. The CIA continued to look for ways to off Castro in any event...I can't see Kennedy changing that...Though it's entirely possible of course that anti-Castro exiles were involved in the assassination...not that that it makes a bit of difference...if they had been caught, they would have been 'bad eggs' in the exile community and sacificed for the sake of propping up of the exiles... ------------------------------------------------- prevention of a US withdrawal from Vietnam following a Buddhist-mediated agreement between the NLF and the Buddhist South Vietnamese president Duong Van Minh(himself to be overthrown very shortly after the overthrow of Kennedy).

--this i don't buy at all, had kennedy lived, he would have led the US deeper into Vietnam. As Ellsberg has said, 'withdrawl from Vietnam' was just never even on the table for discussion in the foreign policy establishment.