[lbo-talk] re conspiramongering

Michael Pugliese debsian at pacbell.net
Sat Nov 22 13:19:12 PST 2003

On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 14:57:14 -0600, Stephen Philion <philion at hawaii.edu> wrote:

> This is typical of Pugliese's 'guilt by association' tactics. Mike why do
> you pretend that these ideas are the sole preserve of 'far rightists' as
> though there are not many leftists who do similar research.
>
> --they do have a curious tendency to avoid criticising the far right
> conspiracy theorising, more to the point.

Happy to oblige! Here is some more below;-) Just was referred to this website on WTC and 9-11, from a neo-Nazi webpg. http://zog.to/3/WTC/WTC- ind.htm

I respect the work of Peter Dale Scott, for example, on the left on "para-politics." His book on the JFK assasination is great. When it comes to such as Chossudovsky, my feelings about his bilge is conveyed here, http://www.wpunj.edu/newpol/issue33/walls33.htm http://www.wpunj.edu/icip/newpol/issue27/shalom27.htm ("Reflections on NATO and Kosovo, " by Stephen R. Shalom, portion of fn. 4 , " For example, Michel Chossudovsky of the University of Ottawa claims CIA backing for the KLA on the basis of an unsupported claim by right-wing conspiracy nut John Whitley (who says that the Bilderbergers planned, financed, and started the Kosovo war) as quoted by another right-wing source, "Truth in Media," which reprints "for what it's worth" an alleged letter from a KLA soldier claiming that the KLA has been dressing up as Serbs and then ethnically cleansing Albanians. (See Chossudovsky at http://www.globalpolicy.org; Truth in Media at http://ww.truthinmedia.org/Kosovo/day10up2.html.) For a trenchant critique of leftists mucking about with rightwing conspiracy theorists during the Gulf War, see Chip Berlet, Right Woos Left: Populist Party, LaRouchian, and Other Neo-Fascist Overtures to Progressives, And Why It Must Be Rejected, Cambridge, MA: Political Research Associates, Oct. 7, 1992.")

I assume Hoare is related to the Gramsci translator, Quentin Hoare, who is a former member of the New Left Review editorial board.

http://www.glypx.com/BalkanWitness/hoare.htm The Left Revisionists By Marko Attila Hoare November 2003

In 2001 two events at the International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia (ICTY) at The Hague put the subject of genocide in the former Yugoslavia back on the front pages of newspapers. Firstly, Bosnian Serb General Radislav Krstic was convicted of genocide against the Muslim population of the Bosnian town of Srebrenica, the first conviction at the ICTY for this gravest of crimes. Secondly and more spectacularly, former Yugoslav President Slobodan Milosevic was indicted and put on trial for genocide against the Muslim and Croat population of Bosnia-Herzegovina as a whole. <SNIP, way too much HTML that got hierpglyphisized, and length, too...>

-- Michael Pugliese