[lbo-talk] Re: Augosto Shevardnazi?

Chris Doss itschris13 at hotmail.com
Sun Nov 23 05:19:43 PST 2003

Hi Todd et al.

: >Chris, what do you know about all this? And just what exactly is
>Saakashvili and his party up to?

I'm hardly well-informed on Georgian politics, but anyway...

>I've been following Georgia a bit lately. I can't find any recent news
>articles about US troops doing anything, one way or the other.

As far as I know, the only US troops in Georgia are the ones who were helping to clean out the Pankisi Gorge (at Russia's request). They may even have left -- I haven't heard anything about it one way or the other.

>>Communism".&nbsp;

?!? Shevardnadze is very pro-Western.

>"The velvet revolution has taken place in Georgia," opposition leader
>Saakashvili of the National Movement said, as the hall applauded him. "We
>are against violence."

Saakashvili may have said this, but other Georgian opposition people are calling for a rerun of Romania 1989.>
>Not so sure the victory's for "us" so much as it's (maybe) for a group of
>"liberal reformers" a la your Democratic Party (since the country's under
>the whip of the IMF, the reformers might just represent a more advanced and
>less thuggish party of capital).

Shevardnadze is a liberal reformer himself.

I think the Washington has backed out of Georgia because it has been muscled out by the Kremlin, personally.

_________________________________________________________________ Set yourself up for fun at home! Get tips on home entertainment equipment, video game reviews, and more here. http://special.msn.com/home/homeent.armx