Fwd: [lbo-talk] Juan Cole: PKK Spin-Off Behind Istanbul Bombings

Michael Pugliese debsian at pacbell.net
Sun Nov 23 08:00:42 PST 2003

On Sun, 23 Nov 2003 12:02:58 -0000, cian <cian_oconnor at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> Michael, you're missing my point.

Thx. I had no idea. Assumed a link.

From a neo-con think tank, http://www.washingtoninstitute.org/watch/Policywatch/policywatch2000/439.htm The recent crackdown on "Turkish Hizbullah" has led to turmoil among Turkey's Islamists...

Books I looked at, at Borders, on Turkey had one sentence mentions of the IBDA-C. The book I was looking for on Lebanese Hizbullah was sold out anyway. http://users.skynet.be/terrorism/html/lebanon_hizballah.htm

Turkish Hezbollah: 'No state links.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/615785.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/1000797.stm

http://www.rantburg.com/popArticle.asp?D=11/23/03&ID=21650
> ....Sounds like some sort of Deep Laid Plot™, maybe even a Dire
> Conspiracy™. What do you think?

A large part of the Turkish people is still insisting on searching among the remnants of the two Jewish synagogues and the British Council about another secret factor, other than Al Qaeda, which has an interest in influencing the foreign Turkish policy and turning the justice and development government away from its strategy, especially that terrorism is not strange to Turkey, which established the Kurdish Hezbollah and used it against the Kurdistan Labor Communist party in the eighties, before Hezbollah went out of control and started to collaborate with foreign organizations, obliging the Turkish government to eliminate it after detaining Abdullah Ocalan in 1999. Through this experience, Turkish security forces are aware of the possibility that some international intelligence institutions use some terrorist cells without these cells realizing who is really behind them.

Ahah! Unwitting tools in the hands of... ummm... us? The CIA? The Mossad? That'd be it. These scenarios might be exaggerated but this is the general environment in Turkey, which realizes that Israel and U.S. cooperation with it in 1999 to arrest Ocalan was accompanied by a sudden interest in Ankara, expressed by the administration of President Bill Clinton. U.S. President himself interfered with the European Union to accept Turkey as a candidate for membership in December 2000, and held a speech in the Turkish parliament confirming that Turkey is a strategic ally for the U.S. Thus, some persons in Turkey believe that a slap must be addressed to Turkey so that it realizes that it should change its policy and that the idea of regional cooperation is useless as long as its neighbors are organizing terrorist attacks against it.

Ahah. So that's why we dunnit, using our unwitting tools to... ummm... kill some Jews and a bunch of Muslim passers-by, and bump off the British consul and... ummm... Sorry. It doesn't make any sense. I think it was Qaeda. You and Murat can think what you want. Posted by Fred Pruitt 00:06|| E-Mail|| Rantburg|| Comment

On the teevee yesterday, there was interviews of turkish bystanders at the evening breaking of the fast, and the conspiracy theory seemed relatively popualr (of course, it could be bias from the media themselves); also a clip from a small demonstration earlier, with Blair, Bush & Sharon as blamed as islamists leaders for the blasts (apparently a communist demonstration, with raised fists, though). I wonder what is actually turkish public's opinion on that? Posted by: Anonymous 2003-11-23 5:33:53 AM Comment Top Rantburg

As for the passports and liscence plates, maybe they were too cheap to buy a video camera to record their martyrdom message. I would think that they wanted actual credit for their actions because they beleived strongly in the righteousness of their actions. Suicide bombers don't have any reason to hide their identities. I'm sure their parents would have appreciated it if they had gone with the rental option on the car bomb. Posted by: Super Hose 2003-11-23 10:40:49 AM Comment Top Rantburg Michael Pugliese