Fwd: [lbo-talk] Juan Cole: PKK Spin-Off Behind Istanbul Bombings

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sun Nov 23 12:38:32 PST 2003

Michael Pugliese wrote:

>One dinner guest w/ Doug (and Jordan Hayes, wished we'd known you
>where there at Modern Times too), Thomas Seay, Joanna Bujes and
>myself the other night in San Francisco was Joel Schalit, (whose
>first book, "Jerusalem Calling, " looks like a great read [I've had
>a copy for a yr. at least....now I feel more motivated to read
>it...]) thinks the Istanbul bombings have Syrian state sponsorship
>and are payback for the IDF raid into Syria a few months ago,
>bombing an old terrorist training camp.

Joel's great. Before I left SF yesterday morning, I recorded an interview with him that was essentially an audio review of the Cockburn/St Clair/Counterpunch collection on anti-Semitism. I'm going to run it on my pre-recorded Thanksgiving show. The book is full of creepy stuff about the "Jewish lobby," and Congress as "Israeli-occupied territory." As if the U.S. imperial machine could be easily hijacked by a cabal of rich manipulative Jews.

Doug