[lbo-talk] free trade is popular (cont.)

Kenneth Campbell kkc at sympatico.ca
Sun Nov 23 14:38:27 PST 2003

Carrol Cox wrote:

[a big laundry list of hypotheticals]

It's a global world, buddy. And that study, mainly, underscores that a majority of people want to be able to end the nationalism, the closed borders. Protectionism, in a political sense, is not healthy right now.

I see it everyday in Ontario. More internationalism. (And certainly less U.S.-ism.)

The post-war Universal Declaration of Human Rights, the UN, all that stuff produced when everyone stood exhausted and surveyed the carnage... and thought "now what?" -- that is morally very strong in Canada, and I assume the US, too, if Pew is correct.

That is a big shift in ground level attitudes.

In that respect, it's not about "free trade", ultimately, it's about internationalism. And Canada is fiercely internationalist at the moment. Apparently many other groups are, too.

Ken.

-- Ain’t no man can avoid being born average, but there ain’t no man got to be common.

-- Satchel Paige