[lbo-talk] free trade is popular (cont.)

Chuck0 chuck at mutualaid.org
Sun Nov 23 15:05:49 PST 2003

Doug Henwood wrote:

> Full Question Wording:
> What do you think about the growing trade and business ties between
> (survey country) and other countries ö do you think it is a very good
> thing, somewhat good, somewhat bad or a very bad thing for our country?
> Now thinking about you and your family - do you think the growing trade
> and business ties between our country and other countries are very good,
> somewhat good, somewhat bad or very bad for you and your family?

Like most polls that are taken to get results that support the status quo, this one asks the wrong questions. Of course most people are going to say that they are for "growing trade and business ties between countries." That's like asking people if they are in favor of babies, apple pies and warm sunshine. This poll tells us nothing because it doesn't get into the meat of the issues involved in "fair trade." Where is the question about outsourcing? What about one that asks people if they are concerned about jobs leaving their community when companies pack up and leave? Where is the question about the local control that is

lost when these agreements are signed without the consent of working people?

<< Chuck0 >>

Homepage -> http://chuck.mahost.org/ Infoshop.org -> http://www.infoshop.org/ Monumental Mistake (blog)-> http://chuck.mahost.org/weblog/index.php Practical Anarchy Online -> http://www.practicalanarchy.org/ Infoshop Portal -> http://portal.infoshop.org/ Infoshop Science -> http://science.infoshop.org/ AIM: AgentHelloKitty

"...ironically, perhaps, the best organised dissenters in the world today are anarchists, who are busily undermining capitalism while the rest of the left is still trying to form committees."

-- Jeremy Hardy, The Guardian (UK)