[lbo-talk] Singapore does some soul searching over sex

Bill Bartlett billbartlett at dodo.com.au
Mon Nov 24 13:10:35 PST 2003

At 8:06 PM -0600 19/11/03, kjkhoo at softhome.net wrote:

>But really, perhaps some people on this list can help enlighten me
>why Sex and the City is such a big deal? It's shown on subscription
>satellite TV in Malaysia -- and maybe I'm puritanical, but I can't
>bear to watch for more than a few minutes before wanting to puke.

Presumably its a big deal because its about sex? I watched it once, about a year ago I think. Seemed to be a slapstick comedy of some kind. Sort of an American Benny Hill, a bit grating but mainly boring.

Speaking of a programme that makes you want to puke, I got stuck in front of a truly awful show the other night, forget what it was called (POP IDOL or something?) which is some kind of contest/talent format. It was absolutely HIDEOUS! It chiefly seemed to consist of a wanking competition between what I assumed to be the judges or presenters of the show.

The problem was I was visiting my daughter, who appears to have been possessed by demons and insisted on actually watching it, in her visitors presence. I had to leave the house and sit out in the car for an hour until the rest of the family were ready to leave. The show was so repulsive and loud it filled the house and seemed to go on forever.

Meanwhile, the local TV & film industry are campaigning against the free trade agreement with the US, claiming it would be the end of the Australian film and TV industry. Given this repulsive POP IDOL show appeared to be an Australian production, I am seriously wondering whether that might not be a good thing.

Bill Bartlett Bracknell Tas