[lbo-talk] re. free trade is popular (cont.)

Todd Archer todda39 at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 24 15:15:20 PST 2003

Ken said:

>It's a global world, buddy. And that study, mainly, underscores that a
>majority of people want to be able to end the nationalism, the closed
>borders.

Where do you get that? People are "happy" about trading with other countries; what could be more normal in a capitalist world? I didn't see any sign of people wanting to sing the Internationale or cross freely over borders wherever they like.

>Protectionism, in a political sense, is not healthy right now.

Ehn, maybe. Depends on who might spin it and for what reason. Farmers and cattle ranchers would be very happy with it I think.

>I see it everyday in Ontario. More internationalism. (And certainly less
>U.S.-ism.)

What exactly do you mean by this, though? I live in Ottawa. I teach ESL. I have an "international" experience every day, but I don't see people, aside from the usual suspects, waxing lyrical about trade, free or otherwise. And I certainly don't hear people demanding closed borders, even with the US.

Todd

_________________________________________________________________ Protect your PC - get McAfee.com VirusScan Online http://clinic.mcafee.com/clinic/ibuy/campaign.asp?cid=3963