[lbo-talk] Radical Left Critique Of Nation Article

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Nov 25 15:29:28 PST 2003

Bob Feldman wrote:

>The www.marxmail.org web site apparently posted the following radical left
>critique of a recent economics article that appeared in the Bill
>Moyers/Schumann Foundation-sponsored magazine, THE NATION--bob
>
>Although the article is adapted from his new book "After the New Economy",
>there is nothing particularly new in his analysis. Henwood has been a critic
>of what he calls "globaloney" for more than a decade. On his website you can
>find a 1996 article titled "Antiglobalization"
>(http://www.leftbusinessobserver.com/Globalization.html) that makes
>essentially the same points that he makes in his new book, but with
>lip-service to Marxism. In the mid-1990s Henwood was widely perceived as a
>Monthly Review Marxist and it was not too much of a stretch to see him as
>the next Paul Sweezy or Harry Magdoff.

Etc.

Feldman, you are the most annoying idiot in so many ways. I'm a contributing editor of The Nation, and have been associated with the mag since 1987. You have absolutely no idea how the thing works. It's no more controlled by Moyers than your previous favorite, Alan Sagner. It is a left-liberal magazine that embodies a kind of thought that's common in American politics. You don't need to posit rich philanthropists in control of it; people think like this all on their own.

As for the "radical left critique" you quote, could you please keep this nonsense where it belongs, in Proyect's playpen? I've done my best to ignore him and his gang of Trotbots and Lenin simulacra, but when you forward something about something I've written to the list I moderate, I can't really let it go. The critique is as idiotic as your typical work; I think you belong over there rather than here, really. The "review" is a mix of bile, lies, and boneheaded dogmatism. As for Proyect's claims that I've "moved away" from Marxism, that excerpt and the full chapter (buy the book, see what I mean) is a lot closer to Marx than the romantic neo-primitivism of LNP3. Here's a very revealing taste of Proyect thought, which is dangerously close to the degree zero thinking of Pol Pot than it is to anything the Old Man or his descendants ever thought or wrote:

<http://lists.econ.utah.edu/pipermail/a-list/2003-November/028402.html>

>Capitalism is not the cause of species extinction and other forms of
>eco-crisis. *Civilization* is. As soon as urban, class-based societies
>came into existence, a whole number of contradictions were introduced
>despite the absence of capitalist property relations. It is only through
>the abolition of civilization and the re-integration of village and
>countryside through communism that these contradictions can be overcome.

Forward to the abolition of civilization!

Doug