[lbo-talk] Kennedy

Michael Dawson mdawson at pdx.edu
Tue Nov 25 19:23:34 PST 2003

> I agree with Doug. This thread about JFK is tedious and boring. Ancient
> history which has no relevance today.
>
> << Chuck0 >>

Ancient history is of huge relevance today. See L.S. Stavrianos and Jared Diamond on that. Please don't bad-mouth ancient history. The issue about JFK is not how old the news is, but "So what?" Like Doug, I wonder what anybody seeks to show by proving any of the various theories. I tend to agree with my Republican brother, who concludes that the straightest evidence is the best -- Oswald was insane and hated Kennedy because he tried to invade Cuba. Even if that's way off, though, why does it matter? The only theory that would matter is the total Vietnam withdrawal theory, but that's as massively counter-factual as anything could be. At best, Kennedy maybe, possibly, might have been willing to pull out 10 percent of U.S. troops, if the RVN showed itself capable of taking over the killing load. Even that's wild speculation.

JFK was shot: So what? Let's hear the rational answer...